Saturday 7 March 2009

30%

I despair. Evidently the credit crunch means that instead of going out and spending whatever little money they have, folk are sat at home writing up their data and submitting to the journal I edit. Currently, submissions are up 30% on the same 10 week period (since Jan 1st) last year (and this is not due to just one or two weeks - it’s a consistent trend as the graph shows). And traditionally these first weeks in the year are a quiet time! So I hate to think what will happen as summer approaches. Bear in mind that last year, we received 725 submissions - i.e. roughly 6 times more than we’d received in the first 10 weeks of the year. Which means that, if the same happens this year, we’ll be heading for 945 submissions by year’s end. Anyone know where I can get cheap supplies of Paxil (for the stress), Zantac (for the ulcers), and Ambien (for those sleepless nights)? Oh wait, forget the Ambien - I can take advantage of those sleepless nights and stay up working on the journal. Phew. I thought for a moment we were in trouble...

So anyone reading this who wonders why I’ve not replied to their emails, facebook pokes, or offers of money will now better understand the reasons. Of course, I should add that if I had received offers of money I most likely would have replied. So if you want a more immediate response, my PayPal account accepts all major currencies...