Tuesday 31 March 2009

down the pan

I don’t know whether ‘down the pan’ will mean anything to speakers of any dialect of English other than the UK one, but if it doesn’t, recounting the details of how it is that my iPhone ended up down the pan will be of little interest to any readers from across the pond. Though now that I come to think of it, the details are probably best kept out of this...

But needless to say, aforementioned iPhone survived the trip intact, clean (perhaps even cleaner than before), and fully functioning (although early on in its recovery period, the screen would flicker on and off in a mesmerizing, but strangely troubling, way).

And just in case you’re thinking ‘what kind of idiot lets their iphone tumble freefall into the sewage system?’, let me tell you that I’m not alone. Or rather, I was alone when it happened, of course, but I’m not alone in respect of having suffered this particular kind of trauma – within moments of my advertising the calamity, a friend wrote:

“Glad I'm not the only one that has happened to. The first generation ones are apparently toilet-proof”

I can hereby attest that the 3G iPhone is also toilet-proof. Or perhaps it was simply that Starbucks offer a better class of toilet...