Friday 16 March 2012

I so want this...

Regular radio-controlled watches receive a radio signal transmitted from various radio transmitters dotted around the globe. There's one in the USA, one in the UK, one in Germany, and a couple in Japan. But if you're out of range, the watch can't synch to the correct time. But this watch, announced earlier this month, uses GPS to get the time and location from the same satellites used for satnav, which means that the watch knows where you are and what time zone you're in, and can set itself to the correct (atomic) time for that timezone. And there's satellites a-plenty up there... so no matter where you are, it'll find you (though probably best that you sleep outdoors in a hammock – GPS isn't so good indoors). The inset dial at 6 o'clock is for a 2nd timezone – perfect for the frequent traveller. So I guess I'll just have to start travelling again (it's 11 weeks since I was last in an airport, let alone another timezone – the longest I've gone without my regular fix in 4 years, and I'm definitely suffering withdrawal symptoms). Sadly, it's not out till October. Sadder still is that I'd need to take out a bank loan to afford it. But it'd be so worth it. Unfortunately, there's another even more serious problem – it's solar powered, which means it's going to be pretty much useless in the UK where you have more chance of catching a wild unicorn than you have of catching a ray of sunlight.